UT

UT

Wednesday, October 5, 2011

Conference Realignment Revisited

Well, here we are again, talking conference realignment.  I promised a week ago to revisit this topic, so here we go.  I’ll admit, when I threw together my original scenario (see here), I had no idea I would get so much feedback, and I honestly put it together with only Tennessee in mind.  I didn’t think about the difficulties of other teams finding 3 natural rivals.  I didn’t think about how the schedule could be built to fairly represent an even distribution to all teams.

I did, however, consider the consequences of having Alabama, Auburn, LSU, and Florida in the same division.  I stand by this, as Alabama, Auburn, and LSU are already in the same division.  Only one team can represent the West division now, what’s the difference if only one of those four can represent the South?

So, we move on to my SEC additions.  Texas A&M is announced in as of 2012.  As it seems, Missouri is on the market, and I really believe they’re SEC-bound.  Why would Missouri publicly announce the decision to investigate other conferences if they didn't already have a final destination in mind?

As for West Virginia, I still think it makes sense, they aren’t much further North than Kentucky, and Morgantown is basically a suburb of Pittsburgh.  The atmosphere is SEC-like, and being in the SEC will just fuel that (couch) fire.

I caught a lot of flak for my NC State suggestion.  I prefaced the previous article with an explanation of the selection, but it didn’t matter.  Unfortunately for me, it sounds like a buyout from the ACC will cost mega bucks, so I’m not sure how realistic it will be for the SEC to pull in a current ACC team, but I wouldn't rule it out completely.

Of course, with the addition of Missouri, the total number of teams in the SEC already increases to 14, so I expect the SEC to pump the brakes on the expansion front for at least a year, if for no other reason than to evaluate how the Big (10-er, 9) XII, Big Least, ACC, and B1G (12) react.

I will march on, though, with my 16-team super conference layout, because I’ve put some time into it, and built a schedule I think we can all fight about.  I am leaving NC State in my scenario, but NC State could be easily exchanged for basically any team and still be slotted into one of the 4 divisions, with just some very minor tweaking.  Let’s just have a fight to the death for the final spot, and then there will be no dispute as to who should have or shouldn't have gotten invited to the SEC.  I don’t think any team will leave the B1G, and I don’t think anyone else is leaving the Big XII (unless they move further west).

So, here’s my list of contenders to watch:


From the ACC:
  • Maryland -- I lived up there; a trip to DC isn’t any further than a trip to Morgantown.
  • North Carolina -- Makes sense, but I HIGHLY doubt they leave Duke.
  • Duke -- Natural Vanderbilt rival, and I know Mike Slive would love to add the academics.
  • Clemson -- Just don’t think South Carolina would allow it.
  • Virginia -- Wouldn’t surprise me, good academics, and would get SEC into Virginia.  But Virginia isn't any good...
  • Virginia Tech -- I think VT is content in the ACC.  They basically get 4 challenge games a year, don’t think they want any more.
  • Georgia Tech -- The SEC already owns the Atlanta market, don’t see it happening.  Got the academic and global outreach thing going, though.
  • Florida State -- Same as VT.  They basically own the ACC.
  • NC State -- Makes sense geographically, and they aren’t tied down by their current conference...except that dang buyout.
  • Wake Forest -- Another NC school with good academics.  Good basketball school...
  • Miami -- Too much power in the ACC, and after the whole Nevin Shapiro business, I doubt the SEC wants any part of it.

From the Big Least
  • Louisville -- I personally like Louisville, and they’ve made strides in football.  Just don’t know if it’s enough.
  • Cincinnati -- Post-Brian Kelly, they don’t seem too committed in improving their football program.
  • USF -- Again, I like it, gets the SEC further into the state of Florida.
  • TCU -- If the Big Least explodes, TCU could be an option, but I expect TCU to end up in a conference with Texas and the rest of the Texas League.
Others:
  • UCF -- They’ve pumped some money into the program, and have slowly been improving.  A perennial Conference USA power, plus it moves the SEC further into the depths of Florida.


So you'll notice I listed basically every ACC team (Boston is too damn far and as northern yankee as they come).  Unfortunately, that's about the best the East Coast has to offer.

Of course, after the way this post ends (see the bottom of this article), I would tend to stay away from anything associated with the ACC.  But maybe that's just me?

Anyway, a recap of the four divisions from before:

SEC North SEC South
KentuckyAuburn
WVULSU
MissouriAlabama
VanderbiltFlorida

SEC EastSEC West
TennesseeArkansas
South CarolinaOle Miss
GeorgiaTexas A&M
NC StateMississippi State


As I stated before, you handle the conference like a mini-NFL.  For this to work, you assign each team a natural Rival from each other division, which I have done here:




SEC NorthNorth Rival South Rival East Rival West Rival
Kentucky- Alabama South Carolina Arkansas
Missouri- Auburn Georgia Texas A&M
Vanderbilt- Florida Tennessee Ole Miss
WVU- LSU NC State Mississippi State




SEC EastNorth Rival South Rival East Rival West Rival
GeorgiaMissouri Florida - Ole Miss
NC StateWVU Auburn - Mississippi State
South CarolinaKentucky LSU - Arkansas
TennesseeVanderbilt Alabama - Texas A&M




SEC SouthNorth Rival South Rival East Rival West Rival
AlabamaKentucky - Tennessee Texas A&M
AuburnMissouri - NC State Ole Miss
FloridaVanderbilt - Georgia Mississippi State
LSUWVU - South Carolina Arkansas




SEC WestNorth Rival South Rival East Rival West Rival
ArkansasKentucky LSU South Carolina -
Mississippi StateWVU Florida NC State -
Ole MissVanderbilt Auburn Georgia -
Texas A&MMissouri Alabama Tennessee -

You keep a rotating divisional series, so for example:
In 2011, the East plays the West (North vs South)
In 2012, the East plays the North (South vs West)
In 2013, the East plays the South (West vs North)

This gets you to 7 games (4 for the other division you play and 3 for each other game in your own division).  The other two games come from your rivalry matchups.  For instance, in 2011, Tennessee will play its divisional matchups against the South division.  Tennessee’s other two games will be Vanderbilt (North Rival) and Texas A&M (West Rival).  This gets into a 9-game schedule.

I built a 9-game layout for all 16 teams which can be seen here:
click to enlarge
Of course, this isn’t really a schedule, because you would need to factor in your cupcake games and your open dates, but this is at least a list of games for each SEC (and SEC newcomer) team.  I’ll be interested to see the reaction from other SEC teams, because there’s a glaring void in this schedule for Tennessee fans: the Tennessee-Florida matchup won’t happen every year (just every third year).  But in this scenario, you could have either Florida or Alabama, couldn’t get both.

As for the division winners, overall conference record will determine who wins each division.  So, a [7-2 SEC, 1-2 East] Tennessee team would win the East over a [6-3 SEC, 2-1 East] Georgia team.

In the current format of the SEC, a [6-2 SEC, 3-2 East] team goes to Atlanta over a [5-3 SEC, 4-1 East] Georgia team.  Sure, in the above, Georgia’s Eastern division record is better, but the current SEC criterion for winning a division is overall conference record.  This would not change or be affected. 

I stand by my 4-team SEC championship playoff scenario, even if you take all 3 games to Atlanta over the course of two weekends.  HUGE money.  I’m wondering if people outside the SEC even understand the madness that is SEC championship weekend.  The game, as it currently is, gets sold out completely.  You can’t get tickets for less than $300 a piece.  EVERY YEAR.  Doesn't matter who goes, either.




As I referenced above, regarding the ACC, take a look at this:

I received this e-mail from the ACC officials’ organization for a clinic they are hosting.  Look at the date, the event, the price, and what you get for the price.  ARE YOU KIDDING ME?!

click to enlarge

You ACC people should be ashamed and embarrassed.  Unbelievable.  $40 gets you into the clinic, into the Dr. Pepper Fan Fest, a hat, a meal, USA Officiating Membership (a $25 value), a $10 coupon to honigs.com (officials’ apparel), and A TICKET TO THE 2011 ACC FOOTBALL CHAMPIONSHIP GAME!!

Un-freaking-believable.

Are there any proud ACC fans out there?
Do they exist?
Do you chant "ACC, ACC, ACC!" when your conference flexes its muscle?
Oh, wait, sorry.  I forgot who I was talking to.

9 comments:

  1. This is very interesting and a lot to think about! I think the format is perfect, but like you said in the first blog if the SEC stayed at 12 i would be happy because it is by far the best product in the country. However we know changes are coming and 16 team conference is very realistic. The Florida rival would be a shame if it went to every 3 years but i would rather lose that matchup than the Bama game. I just want to make a final plea for WVU! Mike Slive is a dirt bag and if he passes on WVU and takes another Big 12 team instead we should all riot. Here are my top 3 reasons WVU should be the 14th team.

    #1 Brent "DukeQuest" Hubbs said it would never happen and that WVU would be a bad team to choose because they offer nothing. That is reason enough alone to call them right now.

    #2 No fan-base in college football identifies more with the SEC passion than WVU fans. Half of Myrtle Beach from June-August are West Virginians so all of the SEC fans there can make fun of them when we beat them.

    #3 Basketball does not matter in this discussion, but they would be able to keep Kentucky from winning the SEC every year because they buy players through Nike also. Their coach is a habitual cheater and he will fit well into the conference.

    Go Vols

    ReplyDelete
  2. As seeing you are a complete Homer for the SEC, you slighted observations regarding competition in the ACC is completed jaded. I think you should look at the competition in the SEC before making completely off remarks. Historically, (and Currently) the SEC has had 2 power teams in its up years. Currently Alabama and LSU are the tier 1 of the league. Auburn and South Carolina are a distant tier 2. Florida, Tennessee, Georgia, and Arkansas can be beat by just about any of the other big 48 FBS schools.

    So while you say "Virgina Tech" has 4 tough challenges and the rest are cupcakes. Please consider that Alabama will have 2 extremely tough test in LSU and Auburn and cruise through the mediocre field in the rest of the SEC.

    I don't mean to burst your bubble but who really cares about Tennessee v. Georgia outside of those two states. They are just 2 crappy teams in a slug fest with no offense. - Peace

    ReplyDelete
  3. @ Regino: So, VT is NOT content with the ACC? And why you do you refer to them as "Virginia Tech"? Are you claiming the ACC is tougher than I allude? Perhaps it is. But if it was, couldn't you get more than $40 a ticket for the championship game?

    Look at VT's schedule and tell me how many tough games they have. Appy State, ECU, Arkansas St, Marshall, Clemson, Miami, Wake, BC, Duke, GT, UNC, UVA.

    For arguments sake, I'll count Miami and UNC as tough games. So with those two, plus the obvious Clemson and GT games, I get 4. Did I miss something here?

    So what are you calling the SEC up years? 2005 forward? And if I read your comments correctly, you're saying the SEC only has 2 power teams at a time? Alabama, LSU, and Florida have all been "top tier" since at least 2006.

    Regardless, I admit to being an SEC (and Tennessee) homer, and thanks for reading

    ReplyDelete
  4. Let's look at Alabama schedule and I will divide them into groups:

    Easy: Kent St., Penn St., North Texas, Vanderbilt, Ole Miss, Miss. St., Georgia Southern., Tennessee , Arkansas, Florida

    Medium: Auburn

    Hard: LSU

    So does Alabama play a tough schedule and a just that far ahead of everyone else or are some teams in the SEC middle tier overrated.

    I guess its all a farce Auburn is not ranked and beats a really one dimensional South Carolina team and they jump to 16? That does not make sense given Auburn porous defense.

    The SEC had several "Up" years in the 90s. They just seem to have the right formula and everyone is catching up.

    I just don't understand SEC fans need to stick it to other leagues. Your league is great, but other leagues are good too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Regarding your idea, with 4 divisions. It nice, makes sense, so it will never happen. One big issue is recruiting, schools travel to bigger areas to showcase themselves. Florida, LSU, and Texas AM are destination schools for recruiting. Schools wont buy the I'll play em in 3 years deal. That's a deal breaker.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I can't argue Alabama's schedule, but I wouldn't be so quick to label Florida and Arkansas as easy. Sure, Alabama made it look easy, but I believe Alabama is loaded with NFL talent and they truly are a level above the rest of the league.

    And yes, it IS a farce that Auburn jumped up after beating South Carolina. SC has some serious, serious offensive issues. Top 10 defense, but the offense is a mess. I don't know what the hell they're doing over in Columbia.

    Do you not agree the attendance for the ACC championship game is embarrassing? How can ACC fans expect the league to improve with such poor interest? Like I stated before, the SEC championship game sells out every year, and has since it's inception back in 1992. The ONLY way to get tickets is to join a wait list every year, or buy them off the street (MEGA $$$). No matter who's playing, it's always a tough ticket. I guarantee if even lowly Vanderbilt made it to Atlanta, Vandy fans would pack the house. There were less than 28k in attendance for the 2008 game with VT and BC. How is that acceptable?!

    But I agree, my format is far too lucrative and way too much fun; it'll never happen. But it is fun to think about and speculate the "what ifs."

    The current SEC format uses a rotating cross-division format, where the East teams play each West team on a rotating schedule. Example: Tennessee played LSU in 2000 and 2001, then not again until 2005 and 2006, and then not again until 2010 and 2011. Tennessee also plays Arkansas this year, whom Tennessee hasn't played since 2007. Hence, your "Schools wont buy the I'll play em in 3 years deal. That's a deal breaker." comment is factually incorrect.

    Love the enthusiasm, keep it comin'!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yes but Tennessee plays Florida every year, so the have at least one trip to a desired recruiting location hotbed.

    Regarding the 2008 ACC title game, BC is a private city school and does not travel well (small number of Alums). If VT or GT make it against a undefeated Clemson, I think tickets will be a premium.

    Your comment regarding Vandy is never going to happen, EVER!

    In the end I enjoy ACC football because my school is in it. Although, I expected to go to a ton of ACC championship games the football gods have been cruel (or recruiting) have been cruel to my school.

    If I had my magic wand college football would be regulated to eight 9 team conferences. Just like the good ole days except with a playoff.

    ReplyDelete
  8. To quote you: "Why would Missouri get permission from the Big XII to leave if they didn’t have a plan in place to move elsewhere?"

    Where did this come from? Mizzou hasn't asked for or received permission from the Big 12 to do anything. They asked for and got permission to explore changing conferences from the Missouri Board of Curators.

    ReplyDelete
  9. @bigdancehawk: You are correct, it was the Missouri Board of Curators, not the BigXII presidents. I was thinking of Texas A&M when I wrote about Missouri. I have updated the article, thanks for the catch.

    ReplyDelete