UT

UT

Tuesday, September 18, 2012

The Truth

>


This is the reality that fans need to go ahead and accept.  You can throw out all the numbers and stats you want, but there is only one that matters now and that is the number of fans in Neyland Stadium.  After talking to UT fans last week I began to realize more and more how important the Florida game was for Derek Dooley.  I knew we were going to lose but I enjoyed the optimism of other fans.  However after listening to more and more fans share their excitement it made me realize the coming reaction if we did lose. 

Dooley still has several supporters who live on message boards declaring anybody who thinks Dooley will be fired is crazy, but empty seats at Neyland will get you fired faster than any loss.  I am not calling for his job.  I don’t have to.  He has done a good job getting recruits interested in UT, but who believes in him as a coach?  Dave Hart said back in the summer there are no more excuses.  Any fan that thinks Dooley is going to take this team to UGA and Mississippi Mistake then come home and play Bama and USCjr and come out on top is delusional.  If we go 0-2 in our next two SEC games there will be more Bama fans at Neyland than UT fans. 

The reason the clock is set for October 29th is because we fired Fulmer and Majors the Monday following USCjr.  People laughed at me when I said we should fire Dooley the day after NSD.  It isn’t that I don’t like him but I knew he would not turn the program around.    Since Dave Hart did not pull the trigger after the Kentucky game we had to wait until the recruits signed.  I said then if we don’t make the change now then we will the Monday after the South Carolina game.  Well if you don’t believe me start counting the empty seats this weekend.

GBO

1 comment:

  1. Well, since he won't be fired before September 29th, I can still hold onto hope that there can be a little more Big Orange magic in Athens this weekend. Go Vols! Beat Georgia. Hey... South Carolina can use all the help it can get. Also, I know you don't take kindly to UK around here, but this is a pretty good article: http://www.aseaofblue.com/2012/9/18/3354632/kentucky-footall-whos-worth-more-uk-basketball-or-football . Since, Kentucky is also looking at getting rid of its point. It's not just about wins and losses, or about how much the buyout is. If fans are showing you with their lack of attendance, Tennessee might not be able to afford keeping Dooley around. And you certainly want to make sure your job is available to all the coaches that might consider teams like Arkansas or Kentucky or even Auburn if they get fed up.

    ReplyDelete